Aquatic Visitors Center opens Wednesday, 15 June 2022. Hours are 10am to 5pm Wednesday through Saturday, and admission is free.
- Investigate Lake Erie’s complex ecosystem through hands-on science activities
- Observe live Lake Erie fish species
- Discover current research being done to protect Lake Erie
- Examine how the fish hatchery operated and see some of the original equipment
- Ask Aquatic Visitors Center experts your Lake Erie questions
Operated by Ohio State University’s Ohio Sea Grant, in partnership with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife, the Aquatic Visitors Center served as the State Fish Hatchery at Put-in-Bay from 1907 through 1988. Ohio Sea Grant and the Division of Wildlife lead the way on research to solve the most pressing problems facing Lake Erie. Some of this research takes place on-site at the neighboring Stone Laboratory on Gibraltar Island, the nation’s oldest biological freshwater field station and The Ohio State University’s island campus on Lake Erie.