Put-in-Bay School News – by Scott Mangas, Superintendent
Summer is a time for completing a long “to-do” list of maintenance projects. The list this year includes, but is not limited to:
- Wax all tile floors
- Shampoo all carpets, runners, rugs, and furniture
- Power wash building, clean all windows, clear all downspouts
- Inspect sprinkler and fire alarm systems
- Install new key-less entrance system
- Install a Knox Box for our emergency agencies
- Install a vented hood for our Science department
- Resurface the High School gym
Miss Madeline Pugh has been our summer school instructor this year. She has been busy working with our students to get them a jump-start on the new school year. Summer is also a time for us to review and update Board Policies and student handbooks. These are then approved by our Board of Education. Student handbooks will be sent home the first day of school for parents to become familiar. If you have any questions about our 2023-24 rules, policies, or procedures, please call the school at 419-285-3614.
Parents planning to withdraw or enroll a student should do so prior to school starting so we can plan accordingly. Please call to set up a time to come in and tour the school and collect your enrollment papers.
Our therapy dog was born over the summer and Bailey will be joining us at the beginning of the school-year. She is a black lab and has begun her training with Mrs. Warnicke. This will add to our social/emotional offerings that we have here at Put-in-Bay School. We will have Erin Urge with us to start the year as a substitute for grade 3. Erin has completed her coursework to be a teacher and we are thrilled to have her in our building to start the year.
The Board of Education adopted the school calendar for 2023-24. Please mark your calendars for the 2023-2024 School Year:
- Wednesday, August 30 – First Day of School
- Monday, Sept. 4 – No School / Labor Day
- Monday, October 23 – No School / Appointment Day
- Thursday, November 2 – Noon Dismissal/ Parent Conferences 1:00-5:00
- November 22 – 24 – No School / Thanksgiving Break
- December 21 – Jan 2 – No School / Winter Break
- February 23 – Mar 3 – No School / Winter Break
- March 29-April 2 – No School / Spring Break
- Thursday, May 23 – Early Dismissal / Last Day of School / Graduation