- First-ever Island Green Week scheduled for August 6 – 12, 2016.
- Island Green Week explores the natural beauty of Lake Erie’s Bass Islands through outdoor activities, entertainment, education and relaxation.
- Event is open to the public and all fundraisers will benefit island nature programs.
June, 2016 — Put-in-Bay, Ohio —
Island Green Week on Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass Islands this summer will make you remember most about the islands as a kid – water, rocks, cliffs, caves, kayaking, meteor showers, moss, moonlit nights, beach bonfires, cozy camping, swimming, beach combing, cottaging with your family, ferry rides, overnight stays on the lake and nature.
Three of the biggest organizations and proponents of nature on the Erie Isles have teamed together to bring some great activities during this week-long event August 6-12, 2016. Experience a taste of the unique wine culture, an island-style pig roast, kayaking a Great Lake, an Island Ramble and Eco-Tour on Put-in-Bay, a dedication to the newest Put-in-Bay lakefront nature preserve, sailing on a meteor shower ferry cruise and an opportunity to tour and hike rarely explored island gems.
Island Green Week includes activities for adults, families and children. Special pricing and coupons for events, restaurants, transportation and entrance fees will be available for participants. Event highlights are:
- Aug. 6 – Middle Bass Island Poker Kayak Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Rain date Aug. 7) Fee.
- Aug. 7 – Dedication and Party at the new PIB Massie Cliffside Preserve – 1 p.m. Activities include hiking, fishing, birdwatching and guided nature tours.
- Aug. 8 – Tour the South Bass Island Lighthouse and Gibraltar Island – Put-in-Bay – Fee.
- Aug. 9 – Wild Tuesday at the Nature & Wildlife Center – Put-in-Bay – Free.
- Aug. 10 – Island Preserve Ramble & Eco-Tour highlighting natural areas on South Bass Island – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Includes activities at each preserve, printed guide and light lunch. Fee.
- Aug. 10 – Enjoy the Lake Erie Islands Nature & Wildlife Center’s Annual Pig Roast at 6 p.m. at the Goat Restaurant. Ray Fogg, plus a silent auction. Dinner Fee.
- Aug. 11 – Meteor Shower Cruise aboard a Miller Boat Line ferry. Cruise for two hours, departing at sunset. Refreshments included. Fee.
- Aug. 12 – Visit the Aquatic Visitors Center and Fish Hatchery. Free.
While the many activities for Island Green Week are sure to keep visitors busy, everyone is encourage to explore the many wonderful features of South Bass Island as well. Whether that’s historic treasures, caves, museums or simply the gorgeous limestone shores of the island, the choice is completely up to you. Some fees apply.
The Lake Erie Islands Nature & Wildlife Center, Lake Erie Islands Conservancy and the
Put-in-Bay Township Park District have teamed up to sponsor Island Green Week.